I always find it encouraging to see many employers focusing on social mobility to diversify their workforces. However, much more needs doing, and some seismic shifts are required to broaden the narrow definition of talent many industries use to recruit.
My guest this week is Phoebe Anderson, Executive Director at ATLAS Fellows. ATLAS is a not-for-profit organization with the goal of transforming the finance industry by opening doors for under-resourced young people to access life-changing careers. Phoebe advocates for changing entrenched recruiting practices and challenging the narrow definition of talent endemic in the finance industry.
In the interview, we discuss:
• Why a zip code shouldn’t dictate a life trajectory
• Breaking down barriers
• The importance of engaging with High School students
• Scholarship, internship, mentorship and membership
• What employers need to do to be more inclusive
• Changing the narrow definition of talent
• Skills and knowledge are teachable.
• ATLAS’ advice to employers and their plans for the future.
Follow this podcast on Apple Podcasts.
A full transcription will appear here shortly.
The post Ep 496: Challenging A Narrow Definition Of Talent appeared first on The Recruiting Future Podcast.