In 2017, Roger Martin was named the world’s #1 management thinker by Thinkers50, a biannual ranking of the most influential global business thinkers. He was ranked 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th in the other ranking years over the past decade.
Roger has written 12 books and 28 Harvard Business Review articles. His newest book is When More is Not Better: Overcoming America’s Obsession with Economic Efficiency (Harvard Business Review Press, 2020). His previous 11 books include: Creating Great Choices written with Jennifer Riel (HBRP, 2017), Getting Beyond Better written with Sally Osberg (HBRP, 2015) and Playing to Win written with A.G. Lafley (HBRP, 2013); Fixing the Game (HBRP, 2011); The Design of Business (HBRP, 2009); The Opposable Mind (HBRP, 2007); and The Responsibility Virus (Basic Books, 2002). Both Getting Beyond Better and Playing to Win won best book awards at Thinkers 50.
In this podcast we cover:
- Being named the world’s number one management thinker 03:42
- Roger’s journey and what has led him to his career 04:02
- Lessons from life 10:24
- What connects Roger’s writing and the importance of thinking differently 14:30
- Difficult decisions 15:35
- How Roger helps CEOs frame up choices 17:23
- Applying theories and techniques on leadership 21:30
- Roger’s new book – When More Is Not Better 22:35
- Roger’s thoughts on the implications of business analytics and data 26:27
- Aristotle and Cause and Effect 27:11
- Some of the problems with using business analytics 30:07
- How COs react to Roger’s advice 38:03
- Interrogating and articulating your gut feeling 44:00
- Roger’s mentors 53:12
- Why writing is thinking 57:46
- How to connect with Roger 1:04:24
We hope you enjoy the podcast and look forward to seeing your comments and shares.
If you want to reach out to Roger, you can connect with him through LinkedIn on:
Or visit Roger’s website:
The podcast is hosted by founder of EMEA; Paul Toms and Executive Recruiter and Senior Consultant; Jenny Callum.
To find out more about EMEA recruitment visit:
Follow EMEA Recruitment on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/emea-recruitment-limited/
Or connect with Paul on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/paultomsemea
Or Jenny at https://www.linkedin.com/in/jennycallumemea
Please like and share the post so your network can benefit from this advice.
If you have any questions or topics you would like EMEA Recruitment to cover in our podcasts in the future, please send me a message on LinkedIn and we will look to help as much as possible.
#emearecruitmentpodcast #paultoms #jennycallum #emearecruitment #switzerland #thenetherlands #singapore #rogermartin #thinkers50